Rotator Cuff Exercises - Rotator Cuff Strengthening Exercises
Why are rotator cuff muscle training so important
Rotator Cuff Strengthening Exercises for a strong shoulder area.
Improve this critical area for strong rotator cuffmuscles, injury prevention and a pain free fitness and athletic training.
If you have been doing upper body exercises like the shoulder press, lateral raises and bench press with free weights like barbells and dumbbells which provide free range of motion, you need not do extra rotator cuff work in first 2 years of training.
If you have been training with machines for upper body exercises or are an experienced lifts or in need to rotator cuff rehab, then these following rotator cuff exercises will be very helpful.
Please read the disclaimer before proceeding.Also read the Rotator Cuff Treatment tips at the end of this page.
Critical Training Points
1. Identify the underdeveloped rotator cuff muscles.
Shortening of subscapularis is diagnosed as the commonest cause of muscle imbalance.
Underdeveloped Infraspinatus and teres minor muscles results in muscle weakness.
2. Cable exercises or tubing is the best way to strengthen rotator muscles as there is constant tension both at the beginning and end ranges of exercise.
Dumbbells are a close second.
3. All rotator cuff workouts are best done at the end of the workouts or on a separate day when no other workouts are done.
This is obvious as rotators being small muscles undergo fatigue faster. If done prior to bench press or overhead press, these fatigues muscles will affect the lifts..
Top 2 Rotator Cuff Strengthening Exercises
1. Shoulder Internal Rotation Exercise - This Exercise helps strengthen the Subscapularis muscles.
2. Shoulder External Rotation Exercise - This exercises helps strengthen the Infraspinatus and Teres Minor Muscle.
These exercises should not cause any pain as rotator cuff muscles are weaker than other shoulder muscles. Also a painful movement should indicate rotator cuff injury.
Purpose - To strengthen the subscapularis muscles.
This exercise is performed using a cable or exercise tube.
Serratus Anterior Dumbbell Punches
Purpose - To strengthen the Infraspinatus and Teres Minor muscle.
This exercise is performed using a cable or tube and the initial set up is similar to internal rotation exercise.
Below is the dumbbell versions of external rotation exercise - standing and lying
ExerciseGoals.com Recommends the The Ultimate Rotator Cuff Training Guide
If you are serious about Rotator Cuff Strengthening then I highly suggest you read the Ultimate Rotator Cuff Training Guide by Brian Schiff, a Physical Therapist . Don't forget to download the Free Report on7 Tips to Immediately Reduce Rotator Cuff Pain.
Click to learn more about The Ultimate Rotator Cuff Training Guide
The following are some general tips for Rotator Cuff Treatment
1. The aim of tendinitis treatment is to decrease inflamation by using various modalities like anti-inflamatory medication.
2. A Period of rest from the causative activity is required. But the duration of rest is relative. Be in touch with your doctor regularly to see how fast you can get back to the gym or playing field.
4. During the period of rest its very critical that you maintain your lower body and trunk strength by engaging in weight training and cardiovascular fitness.
More Killer Shoulder Exercises and Workouts
Disclaimer - The information presented at ExerciseGoals.com is for informational purposes only and is not intended to diagnose or treat any medical or surgical condition and is NOT an alternative to medical care. Please visit your physician for help.
Have A Rotator cuff exercise or workout tip or question?
Do you have a great Rotator cuff exercise? Share it!
Common Rotator Cuff Exercise and Workout Questions and Answers - FAQs
1. How can I tell if my rotator cuff is fully torn?
2. Can a rotator cuff tear be repaired after years?
4. What can you expect after rotator cuff surgery?
5. Where is the rotator cuff located?
6. Can rotator cuff tear heal without surgery?
7. How long until I can golf after rotator cuff repair?
8. Can I play golf with a torn rotator cuff?
9. Any exercises when you have a strain in rotator cuff?
10. Can I continue to workout with a torn rotator cuff?
Go Back to Top of Rotator Cuff Exercises and Workouts Page
Go from Rotator Cuff Exercises and Workouts to Weight Training Homepage.