Cable Crunches Exercises to Build Upper and Lower Abs
Why are Cable Crunches such an Effective Exercise?
Cable Crunches is a very effective exercise to target Abdominal muscles. Check the correct execution technique and build a solid 6 pack abdominal.
Important Tip for all ab curling exercises
Do not hold your breathe while crunching, instead exhale as you crunch. Holding a deep breathe has been shown to neurologically inhibit the rectus abdominis and oblique muscles.
Purpose - To Build Muscle mass in the Upper and Lower Abdominals.
Cable Crunches is not an exercise seen often in the gym now-a-days. But bodybuilders have used it and found very effective.
This exercise is done with a cable attached to an overhead pulley just like the Cable Pull downs pulley.
- Grab hold of a rope attached to an overhead pulley with both hands. You can do this standing or kneeling as shown.
- Now holding the rope in front curl downwards, keeping your back naturally arched and crunch your abs to get a good contraction.
You can crunch straight or crunch with a bend for more obliques involvement.
- Hold the movement for 1-2s at the top of the contraction.
- Release under controlled motion and repeat.
Points to Remember
- Exhale while you exert.
- Do not arch you back. Instead keep it rounded.
- Use abs to crunch and not arms to pull.
- Hold the contraction for as long as you can. An isometric contraction for abdominals makes this exercise doubly effective.
Back to Weight Training Tips Homepage.