Push Ups Exercises & Workouts to Build Chest, Shoulders & Arm Muscles
Push Ups is the best Bodyweight Calisthenics exercise to Build your entire upper body and shoulder girdle, chest and arms. Check how to do them correctly and blast your Muscles at home.
Purpose - To Build Muscle and Strength in the chest, shoulders and Arms.
Push Ups can be a real challenge if done in various angles and super-setted with Chin ups. Intensity is the key here my friend to build Muscle and Strength.
Execution - This exercise is done on the floor with or without a Push up handles.
- Lay face down on the ground with your legs straight and arms supporting the upper body. Keep your knees off the ground.
- Now raise yourself off the ground straightening your elbows and your arms but keep your elbows close to your body.
- Raise until your elbows are locked and pause for a moment at the top of the movement.
- Now lower your body under slow sustained motion, feeling the motion all the way down until your chest is very close to the ground.
Points to Remember
- Keep your body contracted all through the exercise for maximum benefits.
- Exhale while you exert. That is while you push yourself off the ground here.
- Keep the movement slow and sustained. No jerky movements.
Variations of Regular Push Ups
1. Push Ups on the Blocks
You can place a couple of wooden blocks, chairs or sturdy books either at the head end or feet end to make a killer push ups variation.
The head end blocks give you additional depth for chest muscles and blocks at feet end work shoulders too.
a. Push Ups on Blocks at Head End
b. Push Ups on Blocks at Feet End
Also you can place blocks at both head and feet ends.
c. Push Ups on Blocks at both Feet and Head End
2. Pec Flies Push Up Variation
In this variation you place your hands wide apart on a pair of towels. Keeping your arms as straight as possible, slide your hands together.
In a slow controlled manner, slide your hands apart until your chest barely touches the floor. Keep your elbows straight throughout the movement.
3. Reverse Push Ups
Workout Without Weights Program
If you want to have the best Body Body you want using Bodyweight Exercises then there is no better expert than Eddie Lomax.
Click here to find out more Bodyweight Exercises.
Back to Weight Training Tips Homepage.